Sunday 1 June 2014

The terrifying truth


I love the new trending topic #Yestoallwomen

They have very good points and has changed the way I see some things.

You see,

I grew up with a police woman for a Mum who mainly worked on the rape squad. 

I was taught to cross the road to check if you are being followed.

To if you are being followed to run to the nearest house or most public place to get help.

To walk in the middle of the road late at night (obviously not when there are cars there) as that way you can see all your surroundings.

To if you are walking late at night have a plan of what you would do if you were attacked, where you would run etc.

This is probably the same for most girls, they were given the safety talk growing up by their parents about being safe.

I was told that if heaven forbid I ever was raped to try and notice any distinguishable features: hair colour, eye colour, clothes, any tattoos etc.

I was told if I ever was raped to not change my clothes until I had been to the police station as they are used as evidence.

I always thought rape was a stranger in a dark alley way late at night but what if the rapist is someone you know?

What if it's a boyfriend or husband, Is that rape?

What if you say no but don't physically resist, Is that rape?

What if you are both drunk, Is that rape?

What if you are asleep, Is that rape?

I only learned recently that, all of that is rape.

You'll be surprised at how many people are affected by this, how terrifyingly normal it is for a girl to be raped.

We taught all these way to avoid being raped, told not to dress provocatively or to tease guys but...

Surely we should be focusing on teaching people not to rape?


No comments:

Post a Comment