Tuesday 4 March 2014

Essays are ruining my life

Ok so it's a typical evening at uni, here I am staring blankly at my computer screen hoping I can make the word count increase by using the force... sadly I am no jedi.

This is just a little blog post to explain how I write essays (or scientific papers for all y'all fellow scientists out there)

btw... I don't expect any of this to be any use... but you can try my way!!!

Firstly... I take a shower. Ok, ok, I do realise this is an odd way to start an essay and I am not suggesting sitting with your laptop in the shower crying over how you're going to fail your degree. I just believe all the best ideas happen when you're taking a shower! I always seem to have an epiphany then, or when I'm brushing my teeth... which I then do after the shower. Call me crazy but it works... Maybe I am just crazy...




Secondly... I make a cuppa. Ok I basically do this for everything. Making dinner- Make a cuppa. Doing my hair- Make a cuppa. Crying over my lack of knowledge about plankton- Make a cuppa. Although this is the first time I've called it a cuppa... Basically I was brought up in a household where a cup of tea makes everything better so when I feel even the slightest bit stressed- A cup of tea is needed. 




Next (Thirdly just seems like a silly non word)- MIND MAPS, man I love mind maps, I love mind maps more than I love... Ok let's be honest noone loves mind maps but they are incredibly useful way of getting all that knowledge your mind has stored away. When you stare at a blank word document, your mind goes blank too. I use mind view which is a really cool software but you can just go oldschool. Use pen and paper and draw a funny looking cloud!!!


(This isn't my mind map by the way.... cats love me)

Then all you do is put all those categories into paragraphs! Normally working out how many words each section should be keeps you within the word count. Now I know you're definitely not going to do this but it's always best to imagine the deadline is the day before because then you have a day to read through it! or watch cat videos, which ever you feel is best for your future.

Blog love xxx




No comments:

Post a Comment