Saturday 1 March 2014

How to get an internship in Marine Biology...

So I got some big news on Wednesday...

I'M GOING TO BE A SUMMER INTERN AT THE ZOOLOGICAL SOCIETY OF LONDON!!!

The leaders in conservation and research in wildlife biology!!! Words cannot explain how excited I am!

It is my dream job and I am so happy to be working some of the top researchers in Marine Biology.

I thought I'd share how I got this internship because Marine Biology ones are very hard to find so here it goes...

1. Sort out your CV- Ok so I realise this probably seems obviously but although you may have been Maths prefect in Primary school I don't think they want to know about that. Most universities/colleges will have a careers advice office that can help you.

2. Look online- now this isn't a case of just typing in "Marine Biology internships" on google, sadly it's not that easy. Look for key centres of research so Universities, Zoo's, Aquariums etc. Find out what kind of research is going on.

3. Find a researcher you are interested in: If you get an internship you're going to be helped out with their project so you want to make sure it's something you're interested in and something that you have knowledge of.

4. Email the researcher- On the webpage there should be contact information for each researcher, email them explaining your interest in the form of a cover letter (again the career centre can help you if you struggle writing these) and attach your CV.

5. Interview- If you do get invited to an interview read their latest published papers and make sure you have an idea of what research they are currently doing.

Don't put all your eggs in one basket, email a few researchers!

Good Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment