Thursday 22 May 2014

1 year on... (Part 3)

It was getting closer to October. Noone thought we would be in this position.

They had given Charlotte 2 weeks to live in June and there we were 3 weeks later.

You may think that was a good thing because we got to spend more time with her but to be completely honest it was cruel.

We watched her waste away to the point where the bones were sticking out her skin. She didn't even look like her anymore, she was so pale and so fragile.

That wasn't Charlotte.

Charlotte was like chubby little thing, with these big cheeks and always more tanned than me.


I'd spent most of my summer at Demelza house with her. We'd began to rely on each other.

How could I leave now?

How could I leave knowing that I would never see her again?

The truth is I didn't really have a choice. 

I'd already taken a year out of university. If I didn't start now then I never would.


She always knew I was going to university, the difference now was that I wouldn't see her again at Christmas or Easter. This was it.


I wrote her a letter explaining that I loved her and that I would miss her terribly. With the letter I gave her my cuddly toy rabbit one that smelt like me and even at the age of 20 still had on my bed. I wrote in the letter that if she ever missed me or needed me that she should hug this rabbit and it would remind her just how much I love her.

That same rabbit was with her when she died and went in her coffin with her so she will always know just how much I love her.



xxx


No comments:

Post a Comment